Wednesday, February 15th, 2017
Good morning! Here's what we're up to today:
DO NOW: Video Response Journal
For the Do Now, start a new entry in your notebook.
Title it: "Video Response: Cultural Appropriation" (Big words, I know.)
We will watch the video together and then you will write in response.
Remember to keep your pen moving the whole time during the writing part!
Some ideas of what to write about if you need them:
* Cultural Appropriation--what do you think it means?
* What in the video stood out to you?
* Why do you think Amandla Stenberg made this video?
* Why do some people see appropriation as a form of racism?
* What did this video make you think about?
1. Do Now: Video Response
2. Introducing: this quarter's interview project & practicing
Students can begin to learn a complicated new concept through viewing and reflecting in writing.
Students can make connections between culture and power.
Students can practice investigating their reading lives.
Students can read quietly for ten minutes or more in a book of their choosing.
READ for at least 20 minutes: a book, news articles, RAZ kids or get more ideas here.
See you soon!
P.S. Here's the video in case you want to watch it again later: